Wine Racks America

Friday, January 22, 2010

Another Project for 2010

Not that I really have the time but, I have started "another" crafty persuit. My latest endeavor.....quilting.

I have really wanted to do this for a long time, I just never got around to it. Then after someone gave me 10 large boxes full of fabric, I knew I had no excuse.

My first 2 endeavors are going to be a memory quilt and wall hangings from my Great Grandmother Kirkpatrick's quilt blocks.


When I was a teenager, my maternal Grandmother gave me a shoebox full of quilt blocks, hand sewn by my Great Grandmother when she was a teenager. These quilt blocks are over 100 years old and made somewhere in the late, 1800's to 1900. See how vivid the colors still are?



They are in excellent shape and I want to preserve this bit of family history. Can you imagine, she sewed these by hand, probably by kerosene lamp light? It is kind of neat touching something my Great Grandmother touched. She died long before I was born so I never met her.



I have quite a few of these so I am planing on connecting them with sashing and making them into wall hangings behind protective, UV glass. Currently, I am contacting the Quilters Guild to find out the best way to proceed. I am even afraid to iron them right now because I don't want to damage them.

Quilting is a "whole" new world for me and it is taking me a bit to gather the supplies and information I need to begin. The memory quilt is a must finish over the next couple of months and I am having a hard time deciding whether I want to hand quilt or machine quilt (yes, I know, I need to get the top made first). However, I think it will be a good first project to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment